Friday, January 9, 2015

Why I Love New Orleans





     Hi, I'm Debby, and this is my first blog. I really don't know what I'm doing, but as the saying goes, "In for a penny, in for a pound." So let's go.
     I live on Hilton Head Island, SC, with my husband David and our cat Tigger, but I’m a transplanted Yankee from Michigan. I began writing ten years ago. I've written four books, two of which have now been published. The second of these, a contemporary romance, Rue Toulouse, will be released on January 15.
     The book takes place in one of my favorite cities, New Orleans. My husband and I first visited the city in 1989 and have been back many many times since. New Orleans, in particular the French Quarter, is one of those cities that visitors either love or hate. Yes, the buildings are old and in need of repair, and some neighborhoods are still recovering from the storms. 
     Yes, the sidewalks are uneven and can be a challenge at times. Yes, some of the aroma's wafting through the air aren't always pleasant. And yes, on some streets the window displays aren't suitable for children, and the music inside might be too loud. But, this is what makes New Orleans New Orleans.
     The buildings might be in need of repair, but the wrought iron balconies with their colorful hanging plants are delightful. As you walk along you'll see everything from vintage clothing to t-shirt shops; sexy underwear to vampire clothing; exquisite jewelry to Mardi Gras beads; French perfume to patchouli; Wiccan and Voodoo shops to beautiful old churches; haunted historic hotels to intimate B & B's; spooky cemeteries with their above ground tombs to swamp boat rides.
Every kind of restaurant from sizzling steak and gourmet Creole to Cajun gumbo, red beans and rice, hot chickory coffee and beignets, and crawfish etoufee; shrimp po boys and mufaletta to hand thrown pizza.    
     You'll be entertained by street musicians playing funky blues, old rock, modern jazz, country, or classical. You'll see people carrying red go cups and hear others calling, “who dat” and “where y’at?” And the streets are full of people from every walk of life.It was a few years ago, while David and I were visiting the city and I was sitting on our hotel balcony, or gallery as they are called there, that the idea for Rue Toulouse came to me. 
     There’s a saying, “only in New Orleans.” And this is so true. As I sat on my balcony overlooking Toulouse Street, I could see a musician setting up on the corner. Soon the clear sounds of his saxophone filled the night. The smell of spicy gumbo from the restaurant across from me wafted through the air. The clip clop from a horse drawn carriage passed beneath me, its driver thrilling his passengers with tales of the ghosts that haunt the city. A man painted all in silver strolled along juggling oranges while a bicycle cab pedaled by. A group of laughing tourists carrying red go cups went into a bar, and the long low whistle of a boat on the Mississippi could be heard in the distance.
     As I sat there, taking it all in, I thought what a wonderful city to set a story in. From its diverse people to its incredible food. I sipped my glass of wine and nibbled Voodoo chips and the characters in Rue Toulouse began to take form in my mind. In one scene, I have Remi look down on Rue Toulouse from the gallery of his apartment and he thinks he sees Caterine driving by. Hopefully I’ve brought a little of this wonderful city to life for you while you read about Caterine and Remi as they learn to love and trust one another -- down in the heart of the Big Easy.
     Both my books, The Silver Crescent, a paranormal romance, and Rue Toulouse are available on Amazon, B&B and Kobo. 



Debby Grahl

No comments:

Post a Comment