Sunday, March 29, 2015

Having a Fan of Your own

As readers of romance, we’ve all experienced the eager anticipation of actually meeting one of our favorite authors. Some of us have stood in line for hours just to hear them speak.
I recently had an incident  that made all the hours of writing, all the rejection letters, and all the rewrites worth every minute. I had a book signing where there were at least fifty people. This in itself thrilled me.  As people began to line up  in front of my table for me to sign my books,  an excited reader  stopped and told me how much she loved my books and couldn’t wait for my next one. I can’t express the emotion I felt.  I’m a newly published author and here was this person acting as excited to meet me as I do when I go to see one of my favorite authors.  Not only did I feel immense pleasure knowing something I’ve written has given someone such enjoyment, they inspired me to continue writing.
She asked  me a number of questions, one being where do I get the ideas for my books? They can come from a number of places. For instance, I got the idea for my paranormal romance, The Silver Crescent, from an experience friends of mine had. They were on a tour of historic homes where one couple had actually made their patio out of old tombstones. Cities I love to visit are always inspiring, such as New Orleans, my setting for Rue Toulouse.  I love reading historical romances. I plan on writing a time travel story set during regency England, and being a huge Downton Abbey fan,  I decided to set Destined to Die, a romance and mystery that I have recently started work on, in the nineteen- twenties. Ghosts and people with magical powers are always fun to write about. Let’s not forget the old west and hunky cowboys.  And turquoise water and an expanse of golden beach can conjure up all kinds of possibilities.   
People are fascinating to watch and a great source for developing characters. In fact, in my first manuscript, a mystery cozy as yet unpublished, the murdered victim was actually based on a truly hateful person I had  the misfortune to know.  Other characters were based on friends from my old neighborhood.
For me the ability to create stories and allow others to escape into the fantasy world I’ve spun is a wonderful gift I’ll always cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment